Thursday, February 01, 2007

I’m a Code-iac

Last night, I was ramming around New York City for the first time ever. (Caveat: I was in Queens a couple of years ago with a friend of mine visiting her grandmother, but we went to Queens, visited gram for a few hours, and then drove back to Philly. We didn’t go into the city, so I’m not counting that time.) Manhattan to be more specific.

The reason for my big city adventure? What other reason could there be? THE CODES were playing at the Knitting Factory!
Yeah yeah…you’ve read all about The Codes here at TFKoP. You may have even used the handy-dandy link I’ve provided for you on your right to link to their website. I don’t really need to re-iterate that they are friends of mine, and have a really great band.
Last night was their second time performing at the Knitting Factory. The room they played in was deep in the basement of this old building. Deep enough that there wasn’t even cell phone service. They were the second of 4 bands playing, and there were a lot people there to see them.

Their sound, to me, is sort of like Buffalo Tom. You remember them, right? **waits patiently for everyone to say “yes we do”** A rock sound with an alternative bend to it. Together since last summer, they spent 3 months practicing their all-original songs, and since October, have begun to appear at clubs or parties as their name slowly makes its way into the pulse of the Philadelphia (and I guess NYC) music scene.

Last night’s show was a 9-song set, and they actually did a cover (It’s a Shame About Ray) for the first time live. Some of the other songs in the set included: Inspiration (one of my personal faves); Brain Game; Honor Plan; Push Button Nose; Cara; Two Tone Monkey; and Houseboat. There were a couple of more they played, but I couldn’t recall them this morning, the aftereffects of far too many Yuengling Lager drafts imbibed on a work night.

We got back to Philly around 1:30am. It wasn’t easy getting up this morning, but my place in keeping the US economy going required me to go to work. And you know me…I don’t want to be responsible for wrecking the economy.

The Codes will next appear at the Khyber Pass in Philadelphia on Tuesday, February 6. I hope they finally do that cover of “Freebird” I’ve been asking for.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home