Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What’re Words For, Part 17

It’s been a couple of weeks, it seems, since I’ve gotten a Yankee vocabulary lesson to you all. However, the last one, the usage of the letter “R”, was an important one, and I felt you all needed to time to just absorb the information from that, ayuh.

This week’s word is another “R” word, but has to do with living it up.

Word: Ramming (V.)
Definition: On the town
“Al’s not coming to work today?”
“No, called in sick. He was ramming around all last night and won’t be worth nawthin’ this morning.”

(Definition from: "How To Talk Yankee", by Gerald Lewis & Tim Sample, copyright 1979, 1986 by The Thorndike Press; copyright 1989 by the First North Country Press)

And wouldn’t you know it? I can use that word in a sentence! Here goes:

I will be ramming around New York City as I rock out to THE CODES at the Knitting Factory tonight. Hope to see you there, chummies.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was outta town, Joe, or otherwise I mighta just elbowed my way in to check 'em out.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home