Wednesday, December 20, 2006

What’re Words For, Part 14

I have to admit that I’ve been impressed with how far you readers (readahs) have come along in these 14 weeks I’ve been teaching you how to talk Yankee. It’s nice to see you properly using the terms of endearment “chummy” and “de-ah”, and especially the progress you’ve made in using THE WORD….ayuh.

This week we continue our journey with a word that can be applied to any situation that seems dire or pathetic.


Word: Desperate (Adj.)
Definition: hopeless, or nearly so
“Did you see that woman Ethan had out last night?”
“Ayuh…some desperate! God made her as ugly as he could, then kicked her in the face.”


(Definition from: "How To Talk Yankee", by Gerald Lewis & Tim Sample, copyright 1979, 1986 by The Thorndike Press; copyright 1989 by the First North Country Press)

Applied another way, you could say that my Christmas shopping has turned desperate. With only 5 days to go before this holiday, I’m still picking up gifts, and I’m sure I will be right up through the 24th, ayuh. That’s some desperate, chummy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sar said...

Can desperate serve effectively as an adverb? As in:

Ayuh, that was desperately funny, my de-ah chummy.

Just wondering.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home