Wednesday, December 27, 2006

What’re Words For, Part 15

Whew! Phase 2 of the 3-part 2006 Holiday Season is over with Christmas having been on Monday (and Thanksgiving last month), now we just await the New Year to bring to a close the annual Holiday Trifecta.

To salute the craziness of this time of year, I selected a Yankee term that addresses just how caught-up we can get running around for food, gifts, and family during the November/December craziness.

Word: Drove Up (V.) phrase
Definition: extremely busy
“Eugene is all drove up trying to get enough money to buy a new color tv. He dug clams on two tides yesterday.”
“Better him than me. I ain’t afraid to work, but I ain’t afraid not to.”

(Definition from: "How To Talk Yankee", by Gerald Lewis & Tim Sample, copyright 1979, 1986 by The Thorndike Press; copyright 1989 by the First North Country Press)

I imagine many of you were all drove up over the holidays buying gifts, cooking meals, and getting ready for Santa these past couple of weeks. I hope it all paid off handsomely for you and your families/friends.

In sad news to the blogger community, it appears that Sar of Belle of the Brawl will be all drove up with school work in the coming New Year and will be unable to devote as much (any?) time to her blog. Sar has decided to go back to school to pursue a Public Relations degree, and understands that this commitment will infringe on her blogging time. While this is certainly fantastic news for a fantastic lady (and super-friend of yours truly and many other bloggers), there will be a vacuum within the internet as her presence will be immensely missed. Best of luck, Sar!!


Sar, keep me updated on your school progress, de-ah! I’ll be waiting to he-ah, ayuh!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

Great phrase, "drove up." I got a Magellan car navigator for Christmas this year, and got myself all "drove up" trying to figure out how to work it.

And, as I was doing this while moving along at about forty miles an hour, I damn near got myself all f***ed up, too.

11:30 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Joe, best wishes for the final moments of this year, and much merriment, great joy and great cheer to see in the incoming Year

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home