Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What’re Words For, Part 7….

Hard to believe I’ve been doing this blogging thing for 7 weeks now. One of the first things I did when I decided to do this online journal experiment was I started off by telling you all that I would introduce you to one word or phrase used in Maine each week. And I’m now up to word/phrase number 7, indicating 7 weeks as a blogger. Wow! That’s gotta be some kind of milestone, eh?

The word I want to give you all this week is so associated with New England that it won’t be anything new to most of you. However, to ignore it would mean I was shirking my duty as a New Englander (Englandah). So, without further ado, this week’s word.

Word: Wicked (Adv.) Definition: very
Example: “How was the horsepulling?”
“Wicked good. Seth took top money with is new team.”


(Definition from: "How To Talk Yankee", by Gerald Lewis & Tim Sample, copyright 1979, 1986 by The Thorndike Press; copyright 1989 by the First North Country Press)


This work is used so much in Maine, it’s normal to hear it many times throughout the day, and sometimes more than once in a conversation. I still use this word pretty regularly, and around here in Philadelphia, it definitely identifies me as someone from New England. Now, if I could just get them to stop saying “Are you from Bawston??”


Have a wicked good Halloween everybody!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home