Friday, March 14, 2008

Skill Testing Question

Many of you in the world have heard of Dunkin' Donuts. A smaller portion of the world's residents have heard of the Canadian franchise, Tim Hortons. Tim Hortons is a coffee and donut place that also dishes out bagel and egg sandwiches as well as soups and sandwiches for lunch-time fare. For me, Tim Hortons were a new thing because Pennsylvania is one of many states in the US that do not have this Canandian business. It's too bad...the coffee is better than Dunkin Donuts. And right after moving back to Orono, one went up less than 3 miles from my house. I'm in there at least 4 days a week for coffee.

Tim Hortons is currently having a contest where you roll-up the edge of the game cup to see if you've won any of the many prizes being offered from free coffee to gift cards to GPS units to a boat to a new car.


So far I've won a free cup of coffee.

But here's the funny thing about the cup game. I actually read the fine print at the bottom of the cup and saw the expected 'no purchase required' mumbo-jumbo, but what caught my eye was this phrase: "Skill testing question required for Canadian residents."


What the fuck is that?? You have to pass a test to get your prize if you're a Canadian? That had to be some kind of joke, I figured. I'm sitting here laughing because I'm thinking, "Those damn Canandians have such a great sense of humor! That's why I love my neighbors to the North." Well, that and the fact that I'm a Canadian American. Not born in Canada, but over 90% of my heritage is Canadian blood (there's 10% Irish in me too) and I live in America, so I get to designate myself Canadian American, right?

It is not, however, a joke. See, Canadian laws prohibit for-profit games or betting but will allow prizes to be given out for games of skill. And wouldn't you know it, a Skill Testing Question meets that requirement. Winners are required to complete a mathematical puzzle or a trivia question. The winner becomes compliant with Canandian laws by correctly answering whatever this question and can then claim their prize.

Still seems weird to me. I mean, whatta ya think? Can you imagine having to answer a question just to get the prize that you already won by getting the right cup?

"Well, first you have to answer this: What color is a red light?"
"Ahhhh, I'll guess red....?"
"CORRECT! Here's your coffee."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home