Monday, November 13, 2006

Can He Keep a Promise?

The elections held last week were nasty and ugly campaigns. Maybe the ugliest in US history. It’s good….very good…that the 47% of Americans who voted finally sent a message to Bush and his highly corrupt cronies that they’ve done enough damage to this country, to other countries, and the world in general, and overwhelmingly voted many Republican(t)s out of office, giving control of the US House and US Senate to the Democrats. It’s not a big surprise that the GOP lost the election more than the Democrats won it, but the Dems now have the opportunity to step up and make a difference, and bring respectability back to this great nation.

As a Democrat….though wavering, and considering moving to Independent…..I will admit that there are some Republicans who are worthy politicians, and maintain the priorities of the country as being their mission, and NOT taking care of their rich friends. A small list of these politicians, as far as I’m concerned, are: Olympia Snowe (R, Maine); Susan Collins (R, Maine), Lincoln Chafee (R, Rhode Island), Arnold Schwarzenegger (R, California), and Arlen Specter (R, Pennsylvania), just to name a few.

One Republican that I’ve held in high regard is John McCain (R, Arizona). He’s a moderate, and with his military background, and most importantly, the fact that he was a POW for 5 ½ years shows that this man is dedicated to this country, and he paid the greatest of sacrifices for the United States. And the fact the dickheads hired by George Bush (ie Karl Rove) had the nerve to verbally attack McCain as mentally incompetent to be President (during the 2000 campaign) because of his POW days highlighted how dirty the GOP had become. That McCain stood by and let them say this about him made me respect him even more…turn the other cheek and all.

However, the past few years have shown McCain to be a follower of Bush’s continually failing policies. I still had respect for McCain as a politician, assuming he’d soon see that supporting an incompetent failure would drag him down also. But still he carried on supporting the Presidunce.

October 18, 2006 was the day that I lost all respect for John McCain the politician. While on the campaign trail in Iowa stumping for some GOP congressmen that day, John McCain was asked how he would react if the Democrats took over the Senate in the as-yet-unheld-at-the-time mid-term elections. His reply? “I think I’d just commit suicide. I don’t want to face that eventuality because I don’t think it’s going to happen.”

What a shame. Mr. McCain, the Democrats did indeed win control of the Senate, in addition, they won control of the House.


Let’s see if you can keep your campaign promise.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sar said...

As I was reading this, I was formulating a rebuttal in my head against what appeared to be unwaivering support for McCain. But the finale of your post wrote it for me. Well done, my frisbee flinging friend.

Btw, I think you just might like the YouTube post I did earlier today. :)

11:59 PM  
Blogger TFKoP said...

Sar: McCain is out. He's now McCan't. ;-)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Sar said...

Very clever. I heard about Guiliani's exploratory campaign (what an oxymoron that is). Does no one remember how hated he was even days before 9/11?

1:25 PM  
Blogger TFKoP said...

Sar: Yeah....Guiliani was not a favorite of mine, especially when he made being homeless a crime! But, I will admit, he saved some face with me when he helped the nation get through the 9/11 mess. I'm fully convinced it was Guiliani that got the country thru that time period....not George Bush.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home