Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What're Words For...(Part 2)

This week's Word From Maine is one that I've actually already included on my blog page, but am only now taking the opportunity to give you the definition of this popular term used to denote close friends.

This week's word is: Chum, chummy (N., form of address, usually male to male)
Definition: Term of affection for friends. i.e. "Aw cheer up, Chummy, she's just another girl....."

Note: in some cases they can be warnings. i.e. "You think so, do you Chum! Why don't we step outside and see if you can back up your yap."

(Definition from: "How To Talk Yankee", by Gerald Lewis & Tim Sample, copyright 1979, 1986 by The Thorndike Press; copyright 1989 by the First North Country Press)

Be sure to check out my chummies on the right side!

And yes, chum can also denote the fish parts that fishermen throw in the water to attract fish, but that's not the intended use in the case of discussing friends; though I know of a couple of people I wouldn't mind throwing into a chum bucket.....

That, my friends, is the Finest Kind of Pork.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sar said...

Congratulations, TFKOP! With this post, you're the new Reigning WPW Inspirational Blogger!

Word. ;)

9:12 PM  
Blogger G said...

Hi, came here from Sars - congratulations on the inspiration, Chum. Oh and thanks for that bit of word derivation.

7:11 AM  
Blogger TFKoP said...

Sar: Thanks for the props....and the avatar. Now, if I just figure out how the hell to get it on my blog......looks like I'll be bugging JJ (of the Churning) today at work to help me get this done.

G: I appreciate the visit and the comment.

8:52 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Yep, being chummy pal
or being pally chum

As for the stepping outside not to be confused. If someone does ask you to step outside chum, you can bet its not to hug ya or kiss ya, unless its a bear hug or a scottish kiss -

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home