Tuesday, September 19, 2006

What're Words For
The Maine accent is, by most people's thinking, tied in with the Boston (Baw-stun) dialect. That's only partially true. I feel that it's my responsibility to introduce the dialect of my home state to those of you who are from away. Each week here at The Finest Kind of Pork, I'll present you with a word, phrase, or expression that comes from the great state of Maine. I'll be taking these from a now-long-out-of-print book that was published in Maine in 1979, and later updated in 1986. The book, published by The Thorndike Press, is called "How To Talk Yankee", and was written by Gerald E Lewis and Tim Sample. I think you'll find this segment to be wicked go-ud, ayuh.

The word this week is: ah
Definition: the letter between q and s (...q, ah, s.....)

So, CAR would be CAH; BEER would be BE-AH; STARS would be STAHS)

See? You're learning already. (Yo-wah learnin' already)

And that's The Finest Kind of Pork.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home