Tuesday, November 21, 2006

What’re Words For, Part 10

What with Thanksgiving being just a couple of days away, I thought it appropriate to give you all a New England Yankee word that addresses eating. Good idea, eh?

Word: Chahdge (N.) (spelling. “charge”)
Definition: a quantity
“You ain’t hungry?”
“No, I et an awful chahdge for breakfast”

(Definition from: "How To Talk Yankee", by Gerald Lewis & Tim Sample, copyright 1979, 1986 by The Thorndike Press; copyright 1989 by the First North Country Press)

Here’s wishing all of you a great Thanksgiving (if you’re in the US). I hope your turkey (or Tofurky) is cooked just right, and that you eat an awful chahdge. I know I plan to, ayuh.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Well I guess sometimes, some things change for the better

"I ate an awful lot"
sounds shorter, neater, mind you
"I'm stuffed"
could be more apt, lol!

Have you thought of throwing in some Shakespearean sentences in...
or how about the origins of phrases like "three square meals"

Hope you are having a great week!
We've already had harvest day, but I'm always game for more turkey.

Yep, afraid so - thanksgiving day on the fourth thursday of november is 'exclusively' USA

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home